Easy Gluten Free Caramel Slice
There's no need to miss out on your old favourites when this gluten free caramel slice is around! Give it a try today and no one will ever believe it's gluten free..... trust me!
Servings: 20 pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 1 cup Desicated Coconut
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 155 grams Unsalted Butter melted
- 2 x 395 gram Tins Condensed Milk full fat
- 125 grams Salted Butter cubed
- 3 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 200 grams Dark Chocolate Chip Bits Nestle are GF
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Sea Salt Flakes
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 21x31cm brownie tin with baking paper.
In a large bowl mix the flour, coconut and brown sugar together well, ensuring no lumps can be seen. Add in the melted butter and stir well to combine.
Tip the base mixture into the pan and with the back of a spoon press evenly across. Be sure to get into the corners well and that the base becomes solid and smooth.
Place into the oven for 10 minutes or until the edges very very slightly start to turn golden. Once cooked, remove and allow to cool. Now you can start on your caramel filling.
In a medium sized saucepan place the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter. Place over a medium flame and using a whisk slowly mix together until melted.
The key here now is to keep stirring, if you let the mixture sit it will start to stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. You don't want that! So keep slowly whisking whilst the caramel thickens and becomes ever so slightly darker in colour. Once it reaches a slow boil remove from the heat.
Pour straight over top of the biscuit base and smooth out. Place straight back into the oven for 15 minutes or until the caramel starts to golden on top. If your oven has hot spots be sure to rotate it at the half way point.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before moving onto the chocolate topping.
In a small microwave safe bowl, place the chocolate and coconut oil. Melt in 30 second bursts until 3/4 melted together. Then allow it to melt fully by stirring constantly until you have a smooth luscious liquid. Pour directly over the caramel filling and smooth out.
While it's still wet sprinkle the sea salt flakes over top before popping into the fridge for a good hour or so. It will be ready to slice once the chocolate has set hard.
To slice, simply heat a sharp knife up using hot water, wipe dry, then cut your delicious slice into whatever size pieces you like. I like to cut it across and then each bar into 6 small slices, perfect for a quick snack with a cup of coffee!
Store in the fridge for as long as they last... which won't be long...!
- If you run out of golden syrup like I did once, simply use the same measurement of brown sugar in the caramel filling instead. Never use honey or maple syrup, they'll not only overpower the flavour but also not give it the solidity the slice needs.
- Don't stress if your caramel filling does stick to the bottom of your saucepan, simply keep whisking away. You'll end up with a few dark dots in your caramel but it won't taste any different. Plus, you'll be too lost in chocolate nirvana to notice!!
- Want an even saltier dessert? Simply whisk in a teaspoon or so of extra sea salt flakes when your caramel comes off the heat. Simply add and have a taste, add as much or as little as you like. Be sure not to burn your tongue though, it's hot!